In the fall of 1970, Spartanburg and Carver High Schools merged into a single high school (to be known as Spartanburg High School) as part of the final step in the desegregation of the Spartanburg City Schools.
The history of the old Spartanburg High School began in 1897 when the Board of Trustees had erected the building known as the Converse Street High School. This six-classroom structure cost $10,000. The faculty numbered ten and the student body was less than 200. In 1921, the Dean Street wing was added and the school was renamed in honor of Dr. Frank Evans, Superintendent .
Carver High School, named for the great black scientist, Dr. George Washington Carver, was born in 1938. The building, a twelve-classroom structure, was erected at a cost of $65,000. Mr. C. C. Woodson began his tenure of thirty-five years in the office of principal. His first faculty numbered 13.
As part of the consolidation plan of 1970, Carver High was converted into Carver Junior High School and all students in grades 10-12 were placed under one roof at the present Spartanburg High School site on Dupre Drive. A construction program was begun immediately, and in the fall of 1974 D-wing was completed adding forty-one new classrooms, a new library-media center, and a new student center. In addition to D-wing, A, B, and C-wings were completely renovated and air-conditioned, giving Spartanburg High School one of the most modern facilities of its time.
Since 1996, the campus has undergone many needed renovations. The Athletic Department facilities have been remodeled and expanded to accommodate a growing program; ready to house championship teams. E-wing now houses new facilities for JROTC, state-of-the-art ITE classrooms, acoustically designed practice rooms and rehearsal rooms for chorus and orchestra, and a new addition for the band. Noteworthy is the enclosed hallway linking E-wing with the front lobby. Renovations were completed in 1999 for the Science Department in A-wing, a new front entrance with an atrium, and a reconfigured front parking lot. In the fall of 2005, a stat-of-the-art weight room and multi-purpose room were completed in the Athletic Department.
Recent additions/renovations to athletic facilities include new tennis courts, practice fields, football fields for use by community youth programs, and state-of-the-art spaces for track and field events. The MondoTrack FrX running track is the same surface that was used in the Beijing Olympic Games in 2008. The first floor of D-wing which once held the media center was gutted and renovated for the media center as well as business education department, bookroom, and computer labs. The media center renovation was featured in the American Libraries magazine. Upgrades have also been made to the student cafeteria and courtyard. In the fall of 2012, the Freshman Academy building was completed and the gym and gym lobby were completely renovated.